07 Feb Can we trust Google Analytics Content Groupings?
Can you trust Content Groupings?
With excitement last month, I setup my content groups. Amidst all of the data that flows into my analytics view, I began to question what I was seeing. Can we trust those content groups?
Well, I finally got around to testing it myself. Here is what I came up with and how you can test it yourself (assuming you already have some content groups created).
- Chose a content group to view in one chrome tab.
- Behavior – Site Content – All Pages
- Set your period of time, perhaps 4 or 5 days.
- In the Primary Dimension fie
ld, choose your particular content grouping.
- Choose your particular content area and see what the Pageviews and Unique Views are for a period of time.
- Mine was 342 for Pageviews and 161 for Unique Views.
- Next, open another tab in Analytics and create a Custom Report.
- Head over to ‘Customization’
- Make sure your date is set to the same as the other Analytics tab.
- New Custom Report
- Explorer Type, and add the following metrics (Pageviews, Unique Views, and Unique Visitors)
- Dimensions (Page)
- Now set a filter on this custom report
- Include – Page – Regex – (insert the specific regular expressions that will target the pages included in your content grouping)
- Note that your Unique Visitors will match your ‘Unique Views’ in the regular content report.
- View your custom report. How does it work out?
Here are the results of mine:
|Pageviews||Unique Views||Unique Visitors|
So what is the difference between Unique Views and Unique Visitors?
Unique Views: The Unique Views count for a given content group represents the number of sessions in which a page in that group was viewed one or more times. A unique view is counted for each page URL + page Title combination. Learn more
Unique Visitors: Unique Visitors is the number of unduplicated (counted only once) visitors to your website over the course of a specified time period.
For more information, see Unique Visitors calculation in Google Analytics.
- We can trust content groupings (assuming you set them up properly). Yeah!
- We can pretty much equate Unique Views to Unique Visitors. Any thoughts on that?